Monday, May 7, 2007

Mary Visits Elizabeth

Luke 1:39-56

After reading Mary's song of rejoicing, how can we so fiercely desire control? Control is something I noticed today that I thirst for: in my classroom, in our school, in this bike trip, in my relationship with my love, Crystal. I claim to yield control to my best friend Jesus, and yet look at how greedily I clutch at control?

In the movie The Legend of Bagger Vance, Bagger Vance says, "A man's grip on his club is like his grip on his world." Lord, let my grip be loose and natural. Let me play life like Bagger says about golf: "It can't be won, but can only be played."

Mary just played life, loving the Lord, not looking to win anything. She didn't plan any crazy gifts for the Lord, like a bike trip across the country of the United States of America. I want to do this bike trip for you, Jesus, and to do it with you. I want to tell people that we ride together for the enslaved little ones of the world.

If Mary were riding a bike across the country, she'd have Jesus riding on the handlebars. No, that's not right--she'd be riding on the handlebars while Jesus pedaled.

Read Mary's song The Magnificat--about how holy and merciful and mighty and just and provident our God is!

Thank you for reteaching me romance, Jesus, through life and through Mary's song.

1 comment:

RAS said...

verse 45- "Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!"

That verse sums it all up. We'll be blessed when we truly believe that God will do what He said He would do.

Can I try to apply that my own life? I know what God has called me to do. I don't know every detail of the way, but I know where I'm going. If I truly believe that God will fulfill that- that He will fulfill that calling in my life- then I will be blessed.

What does being blessed mean? According to dictionary.com, one meaning is: "to bestow good of any kind upon." Why would God bless me? Because if I believe He is going to do what He says, then I'm not doubting Him. And if I'm not doubting Him, I'm trusting every step of the way in Him.

I won't fulfill my calling if I don't trust Him with every step. I won't be able to preach the word of God if I don't trust Him to work through me. I won't be able to make a difference in the lives of teenagers if I don't trust every step of the way in God. Dave won't be able to ride his bike across the country if...

That's how we're blessed-- we listen to God's direction in our lives and he carries out His purpose through us, which means we're fruitful.

Mary was fruitful, and her fruit made some nice punch out of me (that might be one of the worst sentences I've ever thought of, but nobody reads this blog, so it's okay).