Thursday, May 17, 2007

John the Baptist prepares the way for Jesus

Matthew 3:1-12, Mark 1:1-8, Luke 3:1-18

I love Luke's description of John's ministry of baptism and repentance for it's inclusion of this dialogue:

John: Produce fruit... do not begin to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' For I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham.

Time out: Ouch. Descending from Abraham was a prerequisite for inclusion in Israel's chosen people. John said God could turn some rocks into chosen people.

Crowd (dismayed): What should we do then?

John: The man with two tunics should share with him who has none, and the one who has food should do the same.

A tax collector, later on: Teacher, what should we do?

John: Don't collect any more than you are required to.

Some soldiers, still later: And what should we do?

John: Don't extort money and don't accuse people falsely--be content with your pay.

Summary of the Holy Spirit's commands, as spoken through John:

-Keep only what possessions you need.
-Give anything you can spare to those in need of that thing.
-Do your job honestly and with integrity.
-Live honestly and with integrity.
-Be content with the money you're currently earning. If your current salary isn't enough, the money you're dreaming of making won't be. Sorry, it's true.

God, defend me from the enemy's lies that try to convince me I don't have enough in You, that you can't provide for me and my desires in my current job.

God, protect me with the breastplate of righteousness from living apart from your honesty and integrity.

God, release the shackles of materialism that keep my apartment cluttered and the world deprived.