Tuesday, May 8, 2007

John the Baptist is born

Luke 1:57-80

John's role, according to his prophesying dad, was "to give his people the knowledge of salvation through the forgiveness of their sins."1

And this was, according to Zechariah, Jesus' role: "To shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the path of peace."2

He came to shine on all of us living in darkness--for He was the Light. He came to free us from the shadow of death--for He was the Life. He came to guide our feet towards the path of peace--for He was the Way.

1. Luke 1:77
2. Luke 1:79

1 comment:

RAS said...

I think it is neat how Zecharia was still unable to speak until he finished the job of naming his son John. When God gives a job, we need to complete it. When there's a task at hand, we need to complete it.

That's how I operate. If something is put in front of me, I need to do it then. This happens a lot at school. A student report or something else will come to me and I like to finish them quickly. That shows that I am dependable. What am I showing God?

It's hard to determine what a task is that God wants us to do sometimes. I wish an angel would appear and tell me what to do. And I wish it could have a time limit, like nine months. Of course, if an angel came and told me that I was going to have a boy in nine months, I'd have some serious thinking to do.

Anyway, I think God's work can be life-long, or it could be a short task. And I don't think we necessarily get one at a time. But whatever we start for God, we need to finish.

Dave, take your butt butt'r and finish the job. Do your bike trip. Be faithful. Z was.
---------------

I wonder what the deal was with John living in the wilderness until he was ready to start his public ministry? I know being in nature has a way of really putting you life in perspective (seeing how small you really are compared to God's amazing creation), but why was John out there?

Any thoughts?