Wednesday, May 9, 2007

An angel appears to Joseph

Matthew 1:18-25

Imagine having a dream where an angel told you to stay with your pregnant fiance (whom you've never touched, because you're a friend of God, described by people who know you as "righteous") and marry her.

Imagine telling your family, "Hey, I'm staying with Mary--God came to me in a dream and told me to. And you won't believe what else He said..."

Imagine telling your friends the same thing.

My friends would look at me with pity--not because they're bad guys, but because they want the best for me and nowadays following God like that is quickly labeled any number of foul things.

Despite others surely disapproving of his decision, Joseph did what he knew was right. My hat is off to him and to the God who never doubted him.

1 comment:

RAS said...

This is a tough one for Joseph. He had to have thought both ways on this one before crossing the road. Go with Mary or not? My reputation or God's command?

Well, that puts it into perspective.

But you know what is really cool? Verse 25- "But she remained a virgin until her son was born."

There was no chance that man had anything to do with this. Usually, the blood in a baby comes from the father. And in this case, that would be God. His own blood is in His son.

So think about it- God shed His own blood when His son Jesus died on the cross. That really makes it a little more personal with understanding the trinity- Father, Son, Holy Spirit. They were one, even in the blood that was shed for mankind's sin. That's pretty cool.