Sunday, May 20, 2007

John the Baptist declares his mission

John 1:19-28

Jesus said of John, "I tell you, among those born of women there is no one greater than John."1

Nobody greater than John. Hold on to that.

Now, in this passage, John is interrogated by religion-types interested in learning who exactly this guy was. Was the eagerly anticipated Messiah finally come?

"I am not the Christ," John freely confesses, "...but among you stands one you do not know. He is the one who comes after me, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie."2

My question is this: if there is no one person born on this earth that is greater than John, and John is unworthy of untying Jesus' sandals, where does that leave us?

Father, breathe humility into our hearts, letting your breath, like fire, burn away the pride and pretense.

1. Luke 7:28a
2. John 1:20b, 26b, 27

No comments: