Sunday, May 6, 2007

An angel promises the birth of Jesus to Mary

Luke 1:26-38

For nothing is impossible with God.1

When I'm with my best friend in what I'm doing, when He's the center of what I'm doing, when He's the center of my thoughts and hearts and action, then absolutely nothing is impossible. Now, when I'm with my best friend, I don't feel like it's necessary to jump over a building or flip over a car (even though I sometimes get the urge)--but I do feel like loving people who are difficult to love, giving them grace instead of my puny, self-centered judgment.

Father, build in my students and my loved ones a heart for you. Eliminate the lies in them and replace them with Truth; eliminate the darkness around them and replace it with Light; eliminate the pride in them and replace it with Humility; eliminate the foolishness in them and replace it with Wisdom.

And all of these replacements can be replaced with the word "Jesus."

God, I believe you can do what I've asked. I know you're going to do it. I don't know when, but I know it's coming, and I thank you because then they'll have Life itself, and I want the people I love to live real Life.

God, be with Meghan--do not leave her side. Give her every ounce of your grace and your peace, my Friend.

- - -

When Gabriel told Mary what the deal was with the son she was to have, he revealed a lot about what this kid would be like.

He would be great. He would be called the Son of the Most High. He would be given the throne of David, his father. He would reign forever over the house of Jacob. His kingdom would never end. He would be a holy one. He would be called the Son of God.

He would be given the name Jesus.

The rest is history.

- - -

Mary's response to the angel Gabriel's message was different from Zechariah's. Mary was "greatly troubled" by the Gabriel's greeting.2 The Gabriel called her one highly favored, whom the Lord was with.3 Mary was a humble girl, and this kind of attention from God was unexpected--so much so that it scared her.4

Gabriel tells her not to be scared, and then he tells her about Jesus.

Mary doesn't scoff, laugh, or remark at the impossibility of what the angel proposes--instead, she asks, "How will this be?" She doesn't say it's impossible, she just wonders what she needs to do to become pregnant, since she's a virgin right now. Mary believes in God's power to do anything--she simply wonders if she's got to do anything to help.

- - -

Our best friend wants to be believed like that. It's only polite and loyal and true and trusting to believe what your best friend tells you!

- - -

Finally, despite the consequences of this impossible situation (you could get stoned for being pregnant outside of wedlock), Mary agrees to do whatever Gabe asks, saying, "I am the Lord's servant. May it be to me as you have said."

Perhaps ironically, her son, who was completely God and completely man, turned out to be the servant of humanity.

- - -

Am I prepared similarly to ask my best friend to fulfill his Word in me? Are you?

Father, you are my constant companion, my best friend, and my light in the darkness. Make me aware of these constantly for the rest of my life, please. Thank you. For in being aware of you, all else falls into place--I am humbled, I am made wise, I am staring at the infinity of Truth.

- - -

1. Luke 1:37, emphasis mine
2. Luke 1:29
3. Luke 1:28
4. Luke 1:30
5. Luke 1:34, emphasis mine

1 comment:

RAS said...

One of the most incredible "church" things I've seen is St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC. Walking in there gives you one of those jaw-dropping experiences. This church is filled with amazing statues, artwork, and architecture in general. I was in awe as I walked around the cathedral looking at the walls.

The one things I noticed though was the huge statue and focus on the mother Mary. She was in the front, and Jesus had a little statue thing in the back of the place. Something was wrong with that, I thought.

I know the Catholic belief places such high respect and honor on the Blessed Mother. I used to cut grass for a lady who had the Blessed Mother in her backyard sitting on top of some old tombstone (I don't know how she got that in her yard, but I never asked...). "Don't forget to trim around the Blessed Mother" she would always tell me.

I can see why Mary is so highly regarded, but at the same time, I worry that the emphasis is more on her than her son. The story is quite amazing though.

Again, God does some amazing act to bring about His work. Gabriel appears and tells this girl that she is going to have a son and then she needs to name him Jesus. The amazing part is that she probably was pretty young, like possibly 14 or 15 (according to the culture then as to when girls got married), and she is chosen to give birth to the Messiah! And the other cool part is, unlike Zecharia, Mary doesn't doubt that God will do it.

She's only wondering how God will do it. Using logic, Mary asked how it could be possible since she's a virgin. I'm sure when she had the talk with her parents, they told her there would have to be a man. And now an angel says she's pregnant. She's got to be thinking that he's wrong.

The difference between God rebuking Zechariah by making him silent for a while and Mary not being rebuked is that Mary didn't doubt God. Z did. Mary wanted to know how it was going to happen, and the angel explained. And then we come to the verse that sums it all up- "for nothing is impossible with God."

There are times that I wonder how God will do something. Maybe a prayer I've been preaying or anything else. I don't necessarily doubt that God will do it, I just wonder how. I think it's in those times that we have to stop and remember that nothing is impossible with God. The times when I know God is working, but I wonder how, I just need to keep following and seeking Him, and He will make it clear.

I admire Mary for going with God's plan even though it would bring her public shame. I admire Mary for not doubting that God could do what the angel said He would.

Lord, may I not doubt you, but may I follow you so closely that even my wonderings are revealed before I think them.