Sunday, September 23, 2007

Jesus clears the temple

John 2:12-25

After the wedding banquet, Jesus and his mom and his disciples went to Capernaum. I'm not sure what they did there, because it doesn't say.

- - -

Jesus, you were so bold when you cast out the moneychangers and chased away their animals with a whip. You were a warrior. You knew that what you were doing was right. Did you doubt it, though, being man? Did you ever feel doubtful about the scene that you were causing, or about where your authority came from?

Do we who believe have this same authority as your siblings and co-heirs? If I do, I am afraid of it.

I don't want that kind of authority--I only want you. Not your authority, not your power, just you for you. I want to be witness of your authority, just not in charge of it. This is the coward in me. I can't bear the thought of possessing such noble authority with such wayward eyes, ears, and hands.

But then, there my faith is lacking, perhaps, because maybe I do not trust your ability to make such impossibly inept hands capable of doing your work.

God, my pride has made me make such a mess of so many situations. I went into Meghan's life like Christ went into the temple courts, with a whip and strong words--yet I lacked all authority to do such a thing. There was no wisdom in it, only blind zeal. And yet, somehow, I have faith that you can turn the scars I've left on her soul into flowers.

This ability of yours to bring beauty out of the pain caused by the bumblings of my hands is a glue that keeps me clinging to you, Jesus. Thank you Father. Reveal your acts, Holy Spirit.

I love you,
Dave

No comments: